Our History

history.jpg
Read the story of Winters Flat Primary School. Established by local residents in 1860 our school grew steadily until 1964 when we moved to our current Roberts Street location.
.
Winters Flat Primary School has a long history of connection with community, which we are proud to continue.
.
Late 1850s: the National School Board visits the area but decides that there are not enough students to warrant a new school. The local community disagrees.
.
1860: local residents hold a public meeting to discuss the need for a school in the area. Without National School Board support, the community raise 50 pounds and establish a school.
.
July 1860: the National School Board revises its decision, helps fund the school and appoints a teacher.
.
The school operates in a rented brick building with 3 rooms:
living quarters for the teacher's family
the students’ classroom
a room that could double as a classroom or living quarters.
.
With 57 children in attendance, the school is overcrowded and a larger school is now a required for the area.
.
1946: the school community starts looking for a new location to house the growing student population. 
.
1964: Saturday the 26th of September: the new Winters Flat Primary School opens in its current Roberts Street location.
.
2010: the school celebrated its 150th anniversary with the opening of our Creekview building . Many past students return for the event and the crowd is welcomed by representatives of the Jaara people.
.
2018: a whole new building is constructed to continue to meet the demands of a growing and evolving community environment. 
.
- Source Winters Flat Primary School 150th Anniversary – written and compiled by Lil Balmer

.

*Copies are avilable from the school at a cost of $28.00.